Thursday, May 15, 2008

Fast(ing) Food

(Marya) This has been an interesting month! After hearing about it from a friend, this month I decided to undertake a detox/cleanse type diet plan call Fat Flush. It is a plan to lose weight but a lot of what is in the plan includes detoxing or cleansing the body (hence the "flush") , pretty intensely for the first 2 weeks. Part of that includes eliminating the most common foods that cause sensitivities (not all out allergies but along that spectrum), such as sugar, dairy, wheat, etc.
Part of the reason I decided to do this is that I tend to eat a lot of carbs. I have a pretty strong sweet tooth for things like cereal, scones, muffins, etc. I know that I gravitate that way especially when I'm tired, not feeling well or just don't have the energy to make something good. Of course, that is exactly when I don't need sweets because they just make me feel worse. I want to stop the cycle.
And so it began May 2. The first 2 weeks was lots of water, lemon and cranberry juice, protein (meats, eggs and powder), numerous veggies and a few fruits. The first day was really tough and by the end of the day I had a headache - I really wanted something sweet! The days after that got easier as I settled into a bit of routine and the cravings for sweets began to go away.
Have you ever given up some type of food you really craved but knew it just wasn't good for you? What did you do for your "fast" and what was the result?

No comments: