Monday, January 7, 2008

Restorative Yoga = Irritation ???

(by Karen) I am not one for letting go, and I am not one for restorative yoga. I get IMPATIENT and IRRITATED in restorative yoga. Forever, I thought it was because of all the folding of blankets and the organizing and placement of all the props. Wrong! I was feeling the irritation because I knew that after I got everything set up, my work in that pose is to let go, to give up control. Interesting isn't it? Each day this month I have added at least one restorative pose to my yoga practice. I will continue with this for the month of January. It is already making a difference. There is a saying that "there is no place that is not your yoga mat". By working on this on my mat, it will help me to take it off the mat, with the intention of being more aware of where my control issues may lead to impatience, irritation and anger in my life. I'll keep you posted :-)

3 comments:

@MuseLaura said...

Fabulous! Way to challenge yourself, Karen. My control issue on the mat came up when I had a student demonstrate supporting me in a twist. The point of the support was for the partner to do the holding so the person in the pose could soften and relax more deeply into the pose. She told me to let go and I just couldn't! It had nothing to do with my trust in her ability to support me. It was complete control. Needless to day, I found something I needed to work on!

Everyday Yogini said...

I agree that it's great to push your boundaries! Ever since embarking on this journey, it's funny how control is popping up *everywhere* for me. I had only intended to work with my control issues around my daughter and husband, but really, that isn't possible, is it? It's all wired together.

I wrote about my most recent control awareness on my blog today...

@MuseLaura said...

Absolutely! That is the beauty of what we are doing. You set your intention and you get lessons everywhere! How exciting...