Tuesday, January 22, 2008

How things "should" be

My Internet home page is set to Wayne Dyer's Daily Inspiration. This is the inspiration for today:

I release the need to determine how things “should” be.
If you are suffering in your life right now, I can guarantee that this condition is tied up with some kind of attachment to how things should be going.

I think this fits so beautifully with our discussion. For me right now it's not about being right, per se, but about how things should be. (Although, they really are the same when I think about it.) I get frustrated when my kids don't cooperate, don't move fast enough, or change their mind at the last minute. Understandable frustrations, but ultimately about the way I think things should be.
Then there's the dog. We have 2 miniature dachshunds named Walter and Payton. Payton is a girl, black and tan, 11 years old, cute and sweet and my dog. Walter is a boy, brown, 16 years old, mean and my husband's dog. Walter and I have a love/hate relationship. The older he gets, the more I seem to hate him. I feel bad saying it and I've tried to figure out why. Studying this module helped me figure it out - he doesn't act the way I want. Granted, he doesn't act the way most people would want, but I need to find compassion for him. He's 16 (old even for a small dog), fairly blind and deaf and occasionally senile. He doesn't even bother to let us know he has to go out, if we don't do it regularly he'll just go wherever he is - the kitchen rug, the couch, my husband's lap. We also catch him sometimes just standing and staring into a corner. Did I mention he bites? I still have a bruise under my thumbnail from a recent one.
This month's study is dedicated to Walter. May God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change...

3 comments:

Denise said...

Marya; I love the fact that sometimes I am displeased with how things are but as to what they 'should" be I Have no idea! When I actually think about it I just don't know, and it is really that I am not content in the moment or grateful. One of my favorite times of day is the morning when I sit and drink my tea, I had my cat Coco on my lap and a massager on my neck, it was 0 out side and I was warm and toasty. I could not have been more blissful! I hung on to this moment, how luxurious to be able to do that in the world today. I am truely blessed and grateful! I share that because I am trying each day to find a moment that feeds me like that to carry me forward and keep me present.
namaste" Denise

Everyday Yogini said...

I had a very personal, ugly experience with this over the weekend. It has been, literally, YEARS since I've been steaming-hot mad. Irritated, annoyed, terse... oh yeah. But just plain ol' mad. Can't even remember.

The timing couldn't have been better, really, given the module for the month. It was all about my need for things to be a particular way and then getting into BLAME for why things were the way they were. It was fabulous! Even in the middle of my fit, I *knew* that it was about my mind and nothing else.

I'm happy to report I didn't say or do anything I regret, but I did owe everyone an apology for vibrating with anger...

@MuseLaura said...

Ohhhh,Nona, congratulations on such an amazing lesson! You got yours, too! I love that you said it was *fabulous* because you knew it was your lesson. Isn't it such a blessing to have this viewpoint? And to know, even in the middle of it, that it was in your mind. Beautiful...