Friday, March 21, 2008

Unplanned Fast

(Marya) I started on a media fast earlier this month, without really trying. The effects have been interesting nonetheless. I have not watched the news for some time (since the first time I did this program probably). Then, late last year I switched my Internet home page, which was previously set to MSN (news). I am fairly out of the news loop, however, the one thing I still had was our local weekly newspaper. It only comes on Thursdays and is mainly for our suburban city and surrounding communities. I did get some useful information from it (local events, etc.). About a month ago I received a renewal notice and unintentionally delayed paying the bill. Then several weeks ago I noticed the paper didn't come. My reaction was surprising! At first I was really uncomfortable. Almost a withdrawal type feeling - a little anxious. I came close to buying a copy at a gas station or asking my neighbor for hers. And I thought about sending the check for the subscription but then gave it more thought. Do I really need it? What parts do I need? Can I get that information elsewhere? So I've decided to let it go. If I really need event information, I can get it online or I'm sure one of my neighbors would help. In the meantime, I've got an extra 30 minutes each week to do something else!

No comments: