Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Noticing the Effects

(Marya) I have lots to share about the media this month! Where to begin? First, my husband has discovered YouTube and has been watching quite a bit lately. Yesterday he shared that he watched several videos from 9/11 the other night. He said he hadn't been searching for that topic, nor did he plan to watch a 71 minute video. What he also discovered was that by the end of the video, he grew so angry that his hands had formed into fists! We had a good discussion about how watching certain things can greatly affect your mood. His response was that he hadn't planned on doing it - he clicked out of curiosity and kept watching like he didn't have a choice. I know it's hard sometimes to turn away or turn it off when something we see or hear is intriguing and especially if it affects our emotions. Yet, it's important to realize that if it impacts us negatively (fists!) that it's even more important to remember that we have the choice and the power to turn it off.

2 comments:

Denise said...

Laura; thank you for both your posts on Media. I noticed a huge change for myself recently. I love to watch the news every morning and get the "headlines" I was feeling so bombarded by the negativity, I gave it a break. I started watching something I love in the morning, tennis. And my husband started taping shows he likes, Modern Marvels etc. I have also turned to reading an inspirational book, I have 4 now that I am reading! It is a quieter way to start the day. And when I feel I need my dose of news, I only watch for 15 minutes and then turn it off. I am noticing a difference, I would definitly consider it a old habit and my curiosity at what is going on elsewhere. Peace, Denise

@MuseLaura said...

Yeah, Denise! (Actually, the last comment was from Marya.) Congratulations on the shift. I can only imagine all the lives that are touched by your shift in your morning routine. Fabulous!