Friday, March 21, 2008

Morning Radio Wakeup

When I worked in the 8 to 5 world the "wakeup alarm" was the radio set to a well known national talk radio station. After leaving the 8 to 5 world, the alarm is not always on and was not for the first 16 days of March - for no other reason than it just wasn't :-) My husband wanted to get up early on March 17th and asked me to set it. The next morning I woke up to what I will call "bad news". It was depressing and sad. As I was listening, I felt a heavy feeling in my heart. Later I noticed that I wasn't feeling the joy or connection that I usually feel each day. The experience has stayed with me since that morning as I have thought about it often. I have since changed the "alarm" to a CD that has very up-lifting music. A much better way to start my day.

1 comment:

Carol said...

For years I have awakened to an old, battery operated alarm clock (the kind you have to set manually and pull the button up)....almost, but not quite, as old-fashioned as a wind-up alarm clock. I know this is not a "media" wake-up jolt, but a jolt nevertheless. I am becoming increasingly more peaceful and really seek out ways to increase joy and peace in my daily life so, when my husband gave me a Zen alarm clock for Christmas, I was absolutely delighted! Now I awaken to the soothing, delightful sound of a chime, repeated every minute or so until I can roll myself out of bed and across the room to turn it off. Sometimes I just like to lay there and invite my mind to an early morning meditation to the sound of the chime.
I am now on day two of no newspaper, no tv news and no radio while driving. What a great way to create time for myself to just reflect and "rest" my psyche - I'm loving it!

Peace
Carol