Thursday, June 5, 2008

Failure and Success

Last month in exploring eating, I also learned a lot about self-judgment. I started the month partaking in a cleanse type diet. I made it about a week and then slowly returned to most (not all) of my prior eating habits. In hindsight it may not have been the best time to start. I was feeling fatigued already and hoped the cleanse would help flush out whatever was causing it. Instead I just kept feeling worse. I really wanted to follow through (2 weeks) yet kept having moments where it just didn't seem feasible (energy- or time-wise) to keep going.
What was amazing to me was everything that happened after. I felt guilty for not continuing. I also said I wasn't doing it to lose weight but discovered I was a bit disappointed when I didn't. I even had a few days of feeling like a failure because I didn't finish the 2 weeks! Amazing! No one said I "had to", my health was not dependent on it, there was no prize or punishment at the end. All of these feelings were created by me! Luckily the feelings didn't last long as I talked myself out of it. I felt better as I continued to eat well using many things I did on the cleanse. I also realized I really had done what I originally said I wanted which was to cut back on sugary foods. So in that it actually was a success!
Do you make goals or have ideals (some you may not even be aware of?) and then judge yourself when it doesn't go as planned? What can you do to change the way you judge the situation and yourself? Is it possible to not judge it at all?

1 comment:

@MuseLaura said...

What great thoughts! I find it tricky to walk the line between letting plans go because they no longer fit who I am and wanting to persevere because it will take me where I want to be.