Monday, June 9, 2008

And Here It Is

I mentioned in an earlier post that I was looking forward to studying this topic this year. I have released much of my self-judgment in my studies through this program and thought maybe I was done with it. Not so, my friends! The specter of self-judgment reared its ugly head in my life today -- more to learn. There was a misunderstanding at the building where I rent space to teach yoga. Something else was scheduled at a time I thought I had reserved. I was angry that I didn't have my space and when I asked about it, they simply said I wasn't on the schedule. I was convinced I had reserved the space and was looking for ways to "prove" I had. Then I began to second-guess myself. What if I hadn't been clear? What if I should have double-checked? Blah, blah, blah. You get the picture, I am sure. Then I began to judge myself around how I was feeling about the mistake. I was surprised something so unimportant could unnerve me.

I then realized, "who cares!" I kept trying to place blame on them or myself (I alternated between the two quite seamlessly!) There is a fabulous quote by Rumi that says: “Out beyond ideas of wrong-doing and right-doing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there.” (Rumi)

What if no one was wrong? What if no one was right? Why do we place blame on ourselves or others?

2 comments:

Marya said...

Reminds me of a Wayne Dyer quote, "No one is capable of making you upset without your consent". How especially true when it's us doing it to ourselves!

Denise said...

Laura: I think we shared that I had experienced the something similar where I work. I too would get angry not at first but after it happened 5 times...then I felt like I was too easy going and being taken advantage of. So Ithought I can continue being angry or I can express my need of having class in one room even if it needs to be differant. expressing what I needed really helped. It all comes down to my expectations...I expect to be in the same place each night. And it isn't always possible.