Thursday, August 21, 2008

The Possibilities!

Remember my quote from a couple of inspirations ago? My “nos” and “don’ts” only served to point out the limitations rather than the possibilities. Well, that thought fueled my entire month, especially with my children. I shared it with my husband, too, and we both worked on it. I cannot even express the transformation it has created in our household. My son is even connecting more deeply with his dad, chatting and snuggling more than he has ever done. All we shifted was stopping “nos” to finding a possibility, even if it is fantasy (like the horse story I shared in the module.) Instead of “no, you cannot start that project. It is bed time.” It became “Ooohhh...what a great idea! I bet that will be gorgeous! Let’s leave it here on the table so you remember it for the morning. When you are fresh tomorrow you will be ready to begin!” Instead of “No, you still cannot eat cookies for breakfast.” (A question my son asks about three times a week – really.) It became, “Doesn’t that sound good! Then we can have cake for dessert! Or, better yet, let’s have cake for our meal and eggs for dessert!”

I use the same technique in my new company. Whenever I hear “but no one does that out there”, my response is now, “So, we will be the first!”

No comments: